Saturday, June 4, 2011

Park at the Lake



There are two ways to get to Atascadero from our house in Los Osos.

The most direct route is simply taking California State Route 41 from Morro Bay. It's a beautiful twisty-turny highway that takes you past the Avacado Country Store, the Cerro Alto Campground and Trailheads, Last Stage West Barbeque and a large private display of metal dinosaur sculptures. (Owen, I think of you every time I see them!)

The other option is to drive, counter-intuitively, southeast on Hwy 1 to San Luis, and then head North on the 101. You will cover more miles this way, but it will take about the same amount of time because the roads are wider and straighter and you can drive a lot faster. This is the way to go if the weather is bad, or if you want to make a stop in SLO. This is also the way to go if you want to experience "The Grade," a dramatic and scenic section which will take you up or down 1000 feet in 5 miles. It's a 7% incline...which doesn't seem so steep, until you are on it. (Interstate Highways are built at a maximum grade of 6%)

Ok, now you know HOW to get up there...but what are you going do after you arrive?

Well, you might want to stop at the Atascadero Lake Park. Especially if it's a warm sunny day, and you've brought a picnic.



There plenty of nice tables, benches, and barbeque stands spread out under the trees. I think part of the reason I like it here so much is that it reminds me of Maryland, with it's adorable white gazebo


stone and mortar benches,


And abundance of domestic waterfowl.



If you're interested in birds, you can look forward to seeing a lot more than just swans, ducks and geese. Last time I was there I spotted my first Great Tailed Grackle,


along with a dozen other species that I wasn't able to identify...because I didn't bring my binoculars! (When I am going to learn never to leave the house without them?)

Happily, this guy wasn't shy at all, and let me get up real close. But, I don't have a field guide for turtles, so I can't tell you what kind he or she is. Does anyone else know?


Part of the reason you can see so many interesting things at the Lake Park, is that there is a nicely maintained dirt trail that goes all around the water. It's a sweet place to walk your dog (on leash, please!) or jog a few level laps.


When you are finished picniking in the shade, looping the lake, and looking at wild-life, you will undoubtedly become curious about the other major attraction at this location, the zoo.

At first you may think you have stepped into some kind of severe "truth in advertizing" zone. After all...the official name for the park and lake area is simply, "Atascadero Lake Park." And, the 5-acre display of captive animals is called "The Paddock Zoo."

(a paddock is a fenced or otherwise enclosed area)

But this Zoo is actually named for Charles Paddock, a county park ranger, who spent much of the 1950's and 60's nursing wild animals back to health. For a small zoo, it gives you a lot to look at, and a lot to think about. So, I am going to give it it's own post.




I will also try, in the future, to post about the other things I mentioned above: Cerro Alto, the dinosaurs, Last Stage West and the Avacado store.

But I doubt I will write anymore about "The Grade." What more is there to say about a steep patch of road? You just have to experience it yourself...or...watch this video! I really enjoyed it, and hope you do too!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oTXU0Ak9Xo

(If the link isn't "clickable" just cut and paste it into your browser. Or, search for "US 101 San Luis Obispo, CA The Cuest Grade" on YouTube.)

1 comment:

  1. I have a new life goal: I would like my legacy to be the creation of a nature preserve or park, no matter how small!

    ReplyDelete