Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Trouble with Paradise

Oh gee. What to write about this week? It's so hard to decide. Here's how I do it.

I wake up on Saturday mornings sometime between 5 or 6 am. (That depends on whether or not I went out Salsa dancing the night before.) I feed the dog while the computer is booting up. Then I download all the pictures on my camera. (or am I uploading?) After sorting and organizing through all the pictures I've taken over the week...I usually have some pretty good ideas for blog entries. But then, since I'm organizing photos anyway, I take a look at the photos from the last few weeks, and am reminded of all the good ideas I've already had and didn't write about.

Sometimes a topic eliminates itself because I don't have enough really good photos yet. That's the reason I haven't written about the Monarchs yet. Other times, I realize I don't know enough about the topic and need to do some research. That's why I haven't posted about Santa Margarita lake yet. But there are always plenty that I am ready to write about, and the number just gets bigger every week.

I guess I should feel glad that I have such an abundance of material. It will help me keep my writing resolution even during weeks when nothing interesting happens. But, really. I can't imagine such a week ever happening here! My list of "Fun and interesting things to do on the Central Coast" is so long, it would take years to work my way through it, even if it stayed just the way it is now. But of course, it's always growing. Every time we go do something new, we learn about a dozen other things we need to add to the list.

And those are just the permanent attractions, like the Nature Museum and Heron Rookery...or the recurring events like Art after Dark and the Classic Car Show. Every week we end up missing one-time-only adventures because we just can't fit them into our schedules. This week it was the Plant of the Month Club guided hike advertised as "a hunt for the Giant Trillium and other February Surprises." I don't even know what a Giant Trillium is! Maybe now I never will.

No matter how hard we try, we will always be missing out on something. There's just too much fun for two people to have all by themselves. That's why we need you to come visit, so you can take some of the pressure off!

No comments:

Post a Comment