Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Kareoke-Maker

I wasn't really ready to write about our local bar yet. I was waiting until I had some better pictures. But something happened last Thursday that could change one of the things I love best about this place. So I figured I'd better write about it now...before it's just a fading memory.

I started going to The Merrimaker (affectionately called "The Maker", sarcastically referred to as "The Marriage Breaker) when I lived here before. It's only a few blocks from the house, so it was fun to invite friends over for supper or snacks, and then take a stroll down the street (there are no sidewalks) for a drink and some local color.

The building is situated right at the corner of 2nd Street and Santa Maria. If you head south on 2nd Street, it will take you over to the Baywood Pier, with it's lovely view of the Back Bay and the Sandspit. Go north and you're looking across the estuary, toward the twinkling lights of Morro Bay (the town, and the body of water.) Santa Maria Avenue is, I'm sure, one of the prettiest streets in the nation. It curves along the small Penninsula that creates the Baywood neighborhood. It's lined with million dollar homes and offers stunning views at every turn. So, the location of the bar would seem to make it a pretty fancy place. Except that this is Los Osos...and nothing is very fancy here.

The bar is also across the street from a convenience store and just half a block from one of the most run down looking trailer parks I've ever seen (and I've lived in Kentucky.) So the patrons are a real mix of the struggling and the satisfied. Plenty of customers are well-off and plenty are well, just a little "off."

But here's the thing everyone has in common...they are all friendly and welcoming and fun to be with! And best of all...many of them are surprisingly good at Kareoke. I don't mean they can all carry a tune, though some of them can. But everyone who takes the mic does his or her best to belt it out and put on a good show. Those who don't sing cheer real loud for those who do. It's my kind of place.

So it wasn't many weekends after K and I got settled that I suggested we stroll over there after supper. Since we have a dog now, it seemed like a great way to get the pup some action...with a reward for us thrown in as well.

While we were walking, K teased me about how Piper loves to go out drinking and how she'll "belly up to the bar" with the best of them. I rolled my eyes and told her, "Honey, we're laid back here in Los Osos...but not even the Merrimaker is going to let us bring our dog into the bar."

K laughed and I'm sure she assumed I was right, but what did I know?! As we were tying her up to a magazine rack outside the front entrance, one of the bartenders hollered..."Bring her in!" So we did. She sat right under our feet at the bar while we had a drink and met some of the (other) locals.

Since we love having Piper with us everywhere we go, we were pretty satisfied with the arrangement. That is, until some other dog came in and sat right up on the bar stool! Not to be outdone, we invited Pipey up next to us. She sat right up there like a human, making friends all around.





The bartender even brought her a big biscuit, which she ate right off the counter. (I don't think they are real concerned about hygiene here...they probably figure all the alcohol makes it impossible for germs to survive.)

So, now I had two reasons why the Merrimaker is the best bar ever. One: I can bring my dog and two: they have Kareoke every Friday and Saturday night!

I wish I had a picture of me singing, but I don't. Here instead are pictures of:

The tiny little guy with the GREAT BIG voice. (He sang "Georgia on my Mind and was really quite fabulous.)

Our red-headed bartender. She left her post once or twice to sing her heart out for us. (Notice how the cordless microphone is wrapped in foam padding and colored duct tape. I guess it gets dropped a lot.)

Some guy whose voice was so great, he didn't even feel the need to stand up when his turn came. (Or maybe he wasn't able to stand up this late in the evening...hard to tell.)


As you can see, the really good singers don't just get applause, they get worship. (Then again, this WAS the bartender, so maybe that guy is just begging her for another drink.)

My point is this: Kareoke at the Merrimaker is just a really good time. Even on the weekends when I don't go over there, I just like knowing it's happening.

But it's not going to happen anymore! At least not for a while. The guy who ran the machine and hosted the evening...in his tuxedo vest and ponytail...has been arrested! The police found something like a million dollars worth of fake checks and fraudulent foreign bonds at his house. He was part of the Nigerian Check Cashing Scheme! Can you believe it? He's probably going to spend years in federal prison.

You can see him in the background of this photo.


Poor guy. What would possess a person to do such a thing? Greed, I guess. We should have known he had a problem...look how big his tip jar is!

I found out about all this just last night. I dropped by the bar after salsa class expecting to sing...or at least listen. Instead...I ended up playing pool. (Thank you, Uncle G for teaching me how!) It wasn't too bad. I got to hang out with some of my neighbors and I sunk the shot that won the game. So, I guess I'll continue patronizing our local bar...that is, as long as they keep allowing dogs.

2 comments:

  1. Do these folks know they are famous now?
    I'm glad you and Karen are having fun! Piper looks doubtful about this new activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K went to the Merrimaker last night. Dogs are no longer allowed. I guess someone abused the privilege. Not all dogs are little angels like our Piper.

    ReplyDelete