Saturday, May 14, 2011

Just a couple of reasons to love Avila

Here's what you do when you want a day at the beach, but it's a little to foggy or slightly too cool or a bit to breezy here in Los Osos or on the North County beaches at Morro Bay and Cayucos...you head south!

I often say that we live right where southern California turns into northern California. Head up to Cambria from here, and you'll see beautiful peaked and craggy shores built from rock and twisted cypress trees. If you drive just a little bit further, you'll reach Big Sur, and all the dramatic views that region is famous for. I think this aspect of SLO county is my favorite.

But sometimes, you really just want a little fun in the sun. That's when you go down to Pismo and the other "5 cities" beaches. (I believe the other 4 cities are Grover Beach, Shell Beach, Arroyo Grande and Avila...but I'm not sure.) That's where you'll find bouncy girls in bikinis and suntanned boys in board shorts playing volley ball in the sand. Of course, it's still too cold to get in the ocean for long without a wet suit, but the air is warm enough for people to lay out and "work on their tans." (Do people still do that? When I lay out in the sun, I do it because it feels so good...but I am wearing 70 spf all over!)

My favorite beach down South is the one between the Avila Pier and the San Luis Pier. The sand is light and find...not rough and pebbley like the one at Spooner's Cove. And, because of the way the shoreline curves, this beach faces due south, and the sand soaks up the sun all day long. Bring your flip flops because sometimes it's too hot to walk very far barefoot.


The road runs right past the beach, but it is raised up quite a bit, so that the beach is protected by a steep bank. The road itself is hugged by high green hills on it's other side, so when you are down by the water, you are very protected from the wind if it is coming from the east, west, or north. Of course, if it is coming from the south, it will pour in off the water and there's no way to avoid that...but most days, it isn't.

Most days, when it's too chilly for beach-bunnies farther up the coast, it is PERFECT down here.

But, the very best part about this beach is that it is one big dog park! We love taking Piper there so she can run around off-leash. Everyone is very friendly, we've never had an incident with another dog there, and because of the steep bank up to the road...the animals have very little opportunity to run out into traffic.

Here is Piper looking very dignified, with the moored sailboats behind her.


And here she is with beach goers and the Avila pier in the distance.


Another great thing about going down to this beach is that you can stop at the Avila Farm Store on the way home. (I'm not sure that is the real official name of the place, but that is what I call it.) It's right off the exit from the 101, and really worth visiting.

They have a petting zoo that gives me mixed feelings.

I love looking at the pot-bellied donkeys
and feeding the miniature cows


But some of the other animals just look tired and dirty. It's hard to know if they mind their small spaces or not...but I think they probably do.

The store itself is really a compound of small buildings. One serves ice-cream and houses all kinds of old-fashioned candy. Another is like a farmer's market with overflowing bins of fresh local produce, and tempting baked goods. A third has prepared products that you really can't find many other places. German fiesta mix, for example. I don't even know what that is, but I want some.


I would like to tell you all about the other great things about this area: the Bob Jones Trail, the hot springs, the San Luis Pier, the Friday night farmer's market, whale cave and the snow cone stand...but that will have to wait until next time.

I'm leaving in a few minutes for Santa Barbara. I'll try to take some pictures so I let you know what it's like down there. I guess that will have to wait til the time AFTER next.

If I am every going to catch up with all the things there are to tell you about on the Central Coast, I am going to have to start writing every day, instead of once a week.

I'm not going to have time to do that, though...because I have a job interview on Tuesday...and I KNOW I'm going to get this one. Wish me luck and send good thoughts at 4pm, Pacific time.

I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment: