Saturday, April 30, 2011

Weekend Menu

I didn't start this blog just to encourage myself to explore and learn about the Central Coast. I was also hoping it would inspire our distant loved ones to come explore it for themselves. And, gee...has it ever worked!

We've had almost a dozen house-guests since we moved here in December...and another one scheduled this weekend!

Here's my plan for while he's here:

Friday night:

Supper at home followed by a tour of the neighborhood. We might visit the Elfin Forest, the 4th St. Audobon Society Overlook, Sweet Springs Nature Preserve and maybe even Los Osos Oaks park.

Saturday morning:

I'm planning on running in the "Miracle Miles for Kids" 10K race. This event benefits a local organization that works with foster families and kids. It starts at Morro Rock and goes all the way to the Cayucos Pier. I'm suggesting that K and our visitor drop me off a little before the 8:00 am start. While they are there, they could walk over to the bay side of the road and look for otters floating in the kelp, eating their breakfast on their chests. They'll have a good chance of seeing some, I think.

Then, if they follow my suggestions, they'll drive North on Hwy 1 to the halfway point between the race's start and finish lines, North Point. From the hill-top benches, they'll have a great view of the whole race, and all the runners working toward their goal. When they tire of that, they can head up to the big after-party that will be happening in Cayucos. There will be food and music and a big crowd of happy, outdoorsy people. Hopefully, they won't mind hanging out there for a while...because I'll be depending on them to give me a ride home!

Saturday afternoon:

I'll probably need a nap after the race. But by early afternoon, I'll be ready for another adventure. And, according to my cherished tide-log, the water level in the bay will be cooperating. Beginning a little after noon, and lasting until well into evening, the tide will be over the 2.5 foot minimum required for easy exploration of the back bay. We might even be able to explore the estuary channels as far up as the S. Bay Blvd. bridge that passes over Turri Creek. I've always wanted to do that! If it's not too windy, we might bring a picnic supper and either eat it in the boat, or beach it on the sandspit for a less tippy dining experience.

I think it will be nice to put the canoe in at the tiny little strip of sand just north of the Nature Museum over in Morro Bay. It's so pretty over there, with the green of the golf course sloping up into the trees. And, our guest might want to make a quick stop at the Museum. We might even see some Black Crested Night Herons in the rookery there. Or, we might take the time to drive up through the golf course, to the overlook at Black Hill. You can really get a sense of the lay of the land from up there...or rather, the lay of the water. It's probably a good idea that everyone in the canoe understands the shape of the bay before we head out into it. I think it makes it more enjoyable once you're out there.

The best part about a tide like that is you can paddle around as long as you want. There's no deadline for when you have to head back, or risk getting stuck in the mud half a mile from dry land. We could stay out there and watch the stars show up, if we wanted to.

Sunday morning:

But, we'll probably want to come back and get to be early. Because the next morning, I'm going to take them both to a groovy tide-pooling spot over in the Montana de Oro. K's never been there because so often when we tide-pool there are kids along and this site is too rocky and treacherous for children. But, I think our grown-up company can handle it.

Sunday afternoon:

Our guest might leave mid-day on Sunday, but if he doesn't, he can come with us to the Dinosaur Caves Park in Shell Beach. There is going to be live performance by supposedly the best local band in SLO county. I forget their name, but a musically-inclined friend told me we should go, and K wants to.

She might change her mind, however, when I remind her that Sunday afternoon is also when the "BEST IN BAY" dog show will be happening over in Morro Bay.

That's always the problem here...to many fun things to do...so many hard choices to make.

There is a guided bird-watching hike happening out at the Piedras Blancas light house on Sunday morning that I really wanted to go to...but I didn't rsvp in time.

And, there is a book sale at the Los Osos Library on Saturday that I'd love to check out, but I just don't think we'll have the time or energy.

Oh well. There's always next weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. I need to come visit you! You make me miss the Central Coast! I want to do the Miracle Miles run! (Best running beach ever.) I want to play on the beach!

    ReplyDelete