Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!!!

2011 Arrived with a SPLASH!
New Year's day feels like an important holiday. I can't help but believe that everything I do today sets the tone for the next twelve months. The down side of this superstition is that it can really stress me out if something bad happens. The up side is, it give me a great excuse for having a REALLY good day.

We spent the morning at home with friends, enjoying a big breakfast of french toast, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, yogurt, honey, oranges (picked fresh from our friend's backyard), apple butter (made from the apples in our backyard), and champagne. Since some of the friends were new and some were old, we got the chance to tell and hear all our favorite stories again.

Afterward, we drove the 10 miles up to our neighboring beach town, Cayucos, for the annual New Year's Day Polar Bear Plunge. Sadly, we arrived too late and missed the costume contest. (The rule is: you can wear anything except a wet-suit.) But there was still plenty of time to take a dip and earn our participation certificates. K tried to talk me out of jumping in, since I've had a cold and she didn't think the shock of the cold water would be good for my immune system. But I LOVE being part of this community tradition, and I couldn't let a stuffy nose hold me back.

Back at home, we sang and played piano. We drank hot tea and watched an episode of our current bad TV show: Dexter. Then we took a nap.

Evening is falling now, and we don't have any plans for the rest of this year's first day. Maybe we'll walk down to our local bar, The Merrimaker. Since it's Saturday, there should be kareoke. And, as the singing doesn't start until nine, we have a good chance of getting there before it starts. (Getting somewhere early today is important because I need to counteract the fact that we were tardy for the costume contest...otherwise I'll spend the whole year being late for things.)


If my superstition holds true, and I hope it does, I'll spend this year close to my sweetheart and surrounded by friends, enjoying abundant and delicious fresh local food, getting intimate with the natural beauty that surrounds us, playing music and singing, telling and hearing funny stories, and enjoying the luxury of naps. There will be a little bad TV, some late arrivals, and lots of outrageous outfits.

It sounds like a pretty good year to me, with plenty of adventures to write about in this blog. Obviously, I'll find ample time to do that regularly. After all, I'm doing it today.





No comments:

Post a Comment