Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mid-winter Blooms


Here we are in the middle of January already, the depth of winter. It does get cold, even here in California. For my early jogs, I wear a wool hat and mittens. Some mornings there is even frost on the windshield. Mostly it fades when the when the sun comes up, but one day I had to scrape it off with a pancake flipper. So, don't believe it when people tell you we don't have any seasons here. We do!

Of course, it's nothing like we were used to in Colorado, or even Maryland/Virginia.

The contrast became really clear while the van was failing its smog inspection the other day. With an hour to kill, Piper and I strolled around downtown SLO, taking pictures of interesting plants. Once I started looking, it seemed like almost everything had some kind of flower growing on or near it. I figured with an hour to spend, we'd be able to walk a long way, but we were hardly able to go around the block...we had to stop so often to take photos!

Here are some of my favorites:










It's hard to believe it's not spring!

Our cousin E is here visiting us right now. She has the same background as us: grew up near the middle of the East coast, adult life spent mostly in Colorado. She is having a hard time adjusting the the plant life here. She keeps saying things like, "All my life I believed that everything dies in the winter, but it's just not true."

Not here it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment