Saturday, January 29, 2011

Broderson Peak Look Out Trail

I went for a hike a few Sundays ago and I didn't take my camera. I figured I was just going on a neighborhood path, nothing special. I didn't think there would be anything worth documenting for this blog...nothing that out of town visitors would be interested in. Geez...what was I thinking?

It was so beautiful, I went and did it again the following week. This time I insisted K join me...and I brought my camera too.

Like most hikes around here, the scenery along the trail itself was beautiful. First you walk along sandy paths through Eucalyptus groves. It's tempting to just stroll along blissfully, but you have to keep a careful eye out on this trail...



Or you might miss things like the strange shapes the trees make as they grow into each other.



When you start climbing through some areas of scrubby looking brush and shrubs, look out for hummingbirds...



and flowers full of bees!




But keep a close watch on the ground too, you never know who could be right underfoot!


Or watching you from inside an old log.



And, be careful not to bump your head as you weave your way through patches of twisted oak.



Towards the end, the trail gets really steep. You have to walk through steep little canyons carved from the sandy dunes.


And, just when you think you'd better sit down and have a break, you're at the top!


With the best view I've ever seen of Los Osos spread out in front of you! (If you click on the pictures, you can see them bigger.)



You can see the The Pacific Ocean and the town of Morro Bay, the Baywood Pennisula, and the the back bay surrounding it...Hollister Peak on the right, and Black Hill above the Golf course. There's a great view of the Sand Spit and the Rock, but not the channel of water that runs between them. And you can see the Cerro Cabrillo Park where I used to love to go running, but don't anymore. Now that I have Piper, I can't stand to leave her at home, and she's not allowed on those trails.

I've labeled these things on the photo below, so you can see what I'm talking about if you don't know the area...yet.



And, as if this view weren't enough of a reason to climb to the top of the hill...just a few more steps and you can see over the back of the peak...down into the rolling green hills and blue horizon of the Montana de Oro State Park.




You won't have any trouble finding it, just cruise along Highland Drive until you see a trail head on the south side of the street...there are several. Park and head up hill until you can't go up any more.

It's really a fabulous hike, and I hope you have time to do it while you're here.

And the best part...dogs are allowed!

1 comment:

  1. I love what you are doing with the photos in this post and the one before! I need to plan my next visit asap! And check out this trail. WOW!

    ReplyDelete