Saturday, April 23, 2011

Monster Trouble

I'm having blog trouble. The one and only photo I posted on the last entry, "two rights make really wrong," doesn't seem to be displaying at all. Nothing I do seems to help. Oh well. It wasn't a very good picture anyway.

The more serious problem is this; I'm a total cheater. I have manipulated this blog entry so the date says I posted it on 4/23. That way, when I look at my list of entries, it will appear that I kept my New Year's goal and wrote something every Saturday. But the truth is, I didn't write anything last week.

I knew I probably wouldn't have time to write on my designated writing day. But I decided months ago that it's okay to write on Sunday instead if I am too busy having bloggable adventures the day before.

And, what could be a more bloggable than a story about the Lucky 13th Annual Easter Beer Hunt?

A few weeks ago, K and I met some new friends over in Morro Bay. They have a weekend house in town that they visit semi-regularly, and plan to retire to at some point. But right now they live in a big old Victorian on some acreage in Bakersfield.

They are very handy, do-it-yourself people. They have remodeled and decorated their little beach cottage to the point of magazine-readiness. And apparently, they also know how to home-brew beer.

For their yearly party, they hide bottles of their own custom blends all over their property and invite their (adult) friends to come find it. Afterwards there's a live band and a big barbeque.

It's a two or three hour drive from here to Bakersfield but K and I planned to make the trip. It just sounded like too much fun to miss. I don't even like beer...but I sure would have enjoyed running all over their land with a basket in my arm, hunting for it.

Sadly, we instead ended up dealing with semi-urgent paperwork and phones calls about property we still own in Colorado instead. sigh. Maybe it's time to hire a management company.

So you're probably thinking I could have just written about something else. And you'd be right, because I have a long list of topics just waiting to be explored, and a big file of photos just waiting to be uploaded.

But you'd be wrong...because you don't know about the MONSTER.

That's right. I couldn't find the time, or peace or quiet for writing because we were invaded last weekend by an furry, slobbery, sharp-toothed, long-tailed wild-thing. This intractable force of nature swept into our lives with very little warning, creating havoc and disaster in it's path.

But it was hard to get very upset about it; it was just too cute. Look at it!



The picture's a little blurry because the only time she held still was when she was sleeping.




Or staring at the cat.


The monster's name is Ruby. She's 8 months old, a real sweetheart and a bursting bundle of energy. When I offered to puppy-sit her for a few days, I knew she would require a little extra time and attention. But my goodness! What a handful. I had no idea.

I will be happy to have her over anytime our friends need a "baby"-sitter again...but I'll make sure I have my blog obligations taken care of BEFORE she arrives.

Puppies and writing just don't mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment