Saturday, April 16, 2011

Two Rights Make Really Wrong

Piper had a long day on Tuesday. She waited patiently all morning while I did job hunting and related tasks on-line. Then, she waited in the van while I did an hour long yoga class. Then, we drove to SLO where she waited some more while I got a tour of the new free clinic that is opening up soon. Just when I told her all the waiting was over, I passed K on the road. She was on her way to the dentist, which was just around the corner. So, I surprised her by popping into the waiting room to say hi and keep her company while she waited to see the amazing Dr. K. (I love our dentist.) Of course, Piper had to wait in the car for that too. And then I just had to stop at T.J. Maxx to pick up some pillowcases because we only have exactly enough cases for all our pillows which means that everytime I wash the bedding, some sad pillows have to sit around naked until I finish the laundry. There were some really cute dresses on sale in there too, so I know I spent longer looking around than the "just a few minutes!" that I had promised the dog.

Don't worry! It was a cool day, and I parked in the shade each time with the windows part way down. And, I gave her frequent water and pee breaks. But still, that's a long time to just be waiting in the car! After all that, it was finally time for the main event of the day...at least as far as Piper is concerned...hitting the trail!

I was so delighted to finally get a chance to run on the Johnson Ranch trail. It is just a couple miles south of town on the 101, so you'd think I'd have explored it already. The fact is, I didn't even know about it for years. The trailhead itself isn't really visible from the highway. You have to know which exit to take, and then you have to be ready to swing off onto the dirt parking lot immediately, before you miss it.

It was a perfect day for a run. The air was warm, but breezy. All the recent rain has made the grass as green as the emerald city. From our spot in the parking lot, we could see the trail curve away and disapear behind the first set of rolling hills.

What was back there?! We didn't know yet, but we were about to find out. If there is one thing in this world I LOVE doing, it is exploring new trails on foot, with my dog. Piper loves it too. Once she got a whiff of that fresh air, mingled (I'm sure) with the scent of trail dirt and wild bunnies, she was just barely able to contain herself. We both wanted to rush right out there.

But, I was still in my "meet the foundation director" clothes. So Piper, who is always perfectly attired for trailrunning, had to wait some more while I got out of my jeans and boots and sweater, and into my shorts and t-shirt and fleece vest and ...most importantly...running shoes.

As always in these situations, I said a silent mental "thank you" to K for getting this old van with the roomy interior and darkly tinted windows. It's like driving around with private dressing room! I'm really able to take my time getting comfortably undressed and redressed without worrying about people peering at me. It's especially wonderful for beach living, and outdoor adventures.

There is even plenty of room to keep extra supplies...like towels and dry clothes and extra shoes. K has suggested that many times, and I totally agree with here that it is a good idea. But I haven't actually done it. And oh, did I wish I had that day...especially the part about extra shoes!

Because, when I was all dressed and ready to go except for my sneakers, I looked down into my bag and saw that instead of one pair of shoes...I had brought one each from two separate pairs...and they were both for my RIGHT foot!

It's not like I've never brought the wrong supplies for running before. I have run up mountains in jeans, push-up bras, and even without socks on various scatter-brained occassions. But I just couldn't bring myself to run a rocky trail with two right shoes!

So we went home and ate cookies instead.

1 comment: